Don't overlook an old dresser just because it may not exactly be your style. You can change the look of a dresser to give it new life and fit in with your decor at home. You can paint or stain it, and you can turn it into a television stand or a buffet for your dining room. See below for tips on how to update an old dresser.
What You'll Need:
- Paint or stain
- Sandpaper (fine grit and course grit)
- TSP cleaner
- Clean rags
- New hardware (optional)
- To begin with, you'll need to clean your new piece of furniture. Start by using the TSP cleaner to give it a good cleaning. Be sure to wear rubber gloves to help protect your hands, and be sure to use it in an area that is well ventilated.
- Take out any drawers and remove cabinet doors. Also, remove the old hardware from the dresser.
- Next, use the sandpaper to give your piece a good clean surface to work with. If you are painting your piece, you'll use the deglosser instead. For staining the furniture, you should sand the wood down to bare wood. Start with a course grit sandpaper, then move to a fine grit sandpaper. You can do this by hand, or use an electric sander.
- Wipe down your piece to clean off any sanding dust. You can clean it with just a wet rag, then rub your hand over the piece to be sure you removed all of the sanding dust.
- At this point, you can begin painting or staining your piece. If painting, use a latex, acrylic, chalk or even milk paint in any color you choose. If you are using stain, use a foam or bristle brush to apply the stain, then wipe it off. You can add extra coats of either the paint or the stain, although the more coats of stain, the darker the stain will become.
- When you are finished painting or staining your furniture piece, apply a clear coating of polyurethane to protect your piece.
If you are planning on using your dresser for different things such as a television stand, you can take out the top drawers and use them for storage for things such as DVD players, video game consoles, or cable boxes. Use storage baskets in these areas as well to help hold remotes, movies or video games as well. Dress up your dresser any way you like and give it new style by adding new, updated hardware. Enjoy your new one of a kind piece of furniture. To learn more, contact a company like Surroundings Fine Consignments For Your Home.